Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) insulation is effective in reducing the thermal transmittance (U value) of the walls of new and existing buildings.EPS cavity wall insulation is made from standard EPS boards in thicknesses and edge profiles to suit the applications.The installation of EPS nsulation during the construction of walls must be carried out by competent contractors. EPS boards are for use as a complete or partial fill to reduce the thermal transmittance of cavity walls with masonry inner and outer leaves.
- Cappings & Mouldings
EPS cappings and mouldings can be made to order to suit the individual requirements of the customer. Sizes and profile requirements are cut or moulded to shape and size. Products can be supplied unplastered with the plaster supplied separately for application on site, or pre-plastered with a 2-3mm EPS plaster coating.
Wall capping and moulding lengths can be supplied up to a maximum length of 3 metres but are most often cut to coincide with the spacing between wall expansion joints. Products are supplied with an EPS adhesive to glue the products to the wall surface. They can also be secured with a conventional plaster mix. Joints are finished with either a silicone sealer or a plastered V joint.
EXAMPLES OF CAPPINGS & MOULDINGS:
- EPS Panel Systems
- EPS offers a highly cost effective controlled environment panel system.
- For over fifty years EPS Panel System have provided the answer to the construction industries need for a sound and economic panel system.
- EPS Interlocking Panel System can be quickly installed by appropriately training contractors.
- EPS Panel Systems used in conjunction with active risk management strikes the right balance for manufacturing, cold storage, food-processing facilities and a range of other controlled environment building applications.
- EPS Block Walls
The building blocks are made up of high density, expanded polystyrene panels that lock together vertically to act as formwork allowing concrete to be poured between the panels creating a reinforced concrete wall. The side panels are held together by a series of internal expanded polystyrene cross braces. These are slotted between the vertical rebar to hold the side walls in position and maintain a flat and perpendicular wall. The polystyrene formwork stays in position and acts as both a thermal and moisture barrier which is of value for applications such as basement retaining walls.
Benefits of EPS walls:
- Permanent thermal insulation
- EPS blocks keep homes warm in winter and cool in summer saving energy costs involved in heating and cooling.
- Easy to carry and position, EPS walls filled with concrete are about 50% lighter than equivalent sized brick walls.
- Fully load bearing
- EPS blocks are a shuttering system for reinforced concrete walls and the walls are designed using conventional reinforced concrete design methods.
- Quick to build
- EPS blocks are equivalent in size to 36 bricks and a locating mechanism locks the blocks together easily and tightly.
- No need for skilled labour
- Due to the simplicity of fitting the EPS blocks and the requirement simply to fill with concrete, skilled bricklayers are not required.
- Speed of construction
- Walls can be built up to 5 times as fast as brick with building rates of 50m2 per day per building team readily achievable.
- Moisture resistant
- EPS is water impermeable and the blocks therefore create a moisture barrier.
- Cost competitive
- Considering material cost and speed of building constructing with the EPS block system is competitive with building with brick.
- Long life
- EPS is resistant to rot, bacterial and termite attack and degradation over time and will retain its thermal insulating and moisture barrier properties for the life of the building.
- EPS Plaster
Expanded polystyrene (EPS) will sometimes need ancillary products such as plasters, coatings and glues to ensure its successful application in the building industry. EPS plaster provides protection and impact resistance to EPS used in applications such as walls, ceilings and mouldings.
EPS plaster is a combination of water based acrylics and short length fibre. When mixed with plaster sand, it forms a workable plaster mix that is easy to apply to EPS. It does not shrink or stress crack, has excellent adhesion, is long lasting and provides the necessary impact resistance.
Finishing of Plastered Walls
Polystyrene plastered walls can be left unpainted with the finished wall taking on the colour of the plaster sand used. To maintain a uniform colour finish, ensure the plaster sand comes from the same source and that sufficient quantities are mixed in one batch to plaster an entire wall section or panel. Slight colour variances can be expected from mix to mix even when the sand comes from the same source.
To improve the water resistance of the plaster, clear sealers can be applied to EPS plaster. Sealers tend to darken the plaster slightly.
All commonly used exterior and interior paints can be applied to Polystyrene plastered walls.
- Excellent adhesion to EPS
- Formulated to provide a product that has good long term adhesion to EPS.
- Resistance to cracking
- EPS plaster will not shrink crack. The elimination of cement from the mix eliminates any shrinking on drying. Since it retains some flexibility it resists cracking associated with building movement.
- Easy to mix, easy to apply
- Easily mixed by hand, although mechanical mixing is recommended. The product is easy to apply by conventional plastering methods and can be straight edged if required.
- Natural appearance -EPS plaster takes on the colour of the plaster sand used, giving a ‘natural’ appearance to the wall or building if left unpainted.
- Water repellent -Although EPS Plaster is not water resistant due to the high sand loading it does have water repellent properties. If the resin to sand ratio is increased the water repellancy of the product increases.
- Impact resistance – Once full cured, it provides a tough, hard surface giving excellent impact resistance to the EPS.
- Versatile – Although developed specifically for application onto EPS, it can be used as a decorative finish onto cement, brick and concrete. Due to the sand filler loading and inherent flexibility it can be used as a filler coat to bridge and hide cracks.
- Long lasting -The resins used are high quality water based acrylics which resist UV degradation and weathering.
- Cost competitive
- EPS plaster, at 6mm thickness, is cost competitive against normal sand cement plasters at 15-20mm thickness.